Quick Fire Hymn Competition
Entrants may be undergraduate or postgraduate students.
Closing date: 1 January 2013
This competition is for the writing of new hymns based on the theme of Easter. This may include topics such as Triumphal Entry, The Last Supper, The Atonement, The Crucifixion, Resurrection etc.
- Hymns should be not more than 2 pages in length.
- Hymns may be for unison chorus, SA, SAB, SATB,TTBB and may be accompanied or unaccompanied. If accompanied, this must be for piano.
- The hymn must have 2 or more verses.
- Public domain texts would be preferred, however if the text is from a copyright publication or a living poet written permission from the author or copyright holder must be obtained before the hymn is entered in the competition and available to the judges upon request.
- Hymns must be submitted in .pdf format as an email attachment to email@example.com (All correspondence should be addressed to Glenn in an email)
- The hymn may be in any style.
- The name of the composer and the author must be included with the hymn as in the current LDS hymnal.
- Composers may submit more than 1 hymn.
FIRST PRIZE: $100 and guaranteed publication in the Easter issue of Hymns Today (Jan 2013)
Second Prize: $50 and publication if of sufficient merit.
The decision of the judges will be final.
The LDS Composers’ Trust is grateful for the support of the James McConkie family for this competition in memory of James Wilson McConkie (1921-1953)